Scottish Building Standards Certification
The Approved Certifier of Construction Scheme allows qualified SELECT Members to sign off electrical work that is subject to a building warrant.
Certification is based on the principle that suitably qualified and experienced building professionals and tradesmen accept responsibility for ensuring compliance with building regulations without the need for detailed scrutiny of design or inspections by verifiers. Building Standards Certification is only applicable when the work is being done under a building warrant.
Certification Schemes are helping raise standards throughout the industry as work carried out by Approved Certifiers must be to a high standard and must comply with building regulations.
SELECT was the first Scheme Provider for the Certification of Construction (Electrical Installations to BS 7671) Scheme and is able to register both Approved Bodies and Approved Certifiers of Construction. The Scottish Government Building Standards Division manages the Certification Register – the only authoritative source to find approved bodies and approved certifiers. This database is used by clients and local authorities and successful applicants to this scheme will appear on this register.
Certification of work is optional, but the advantages are many:
- Quicker acceptance of completion certificates by local authorities, with certified installations not inspected at completion.
- A discount on the building warrant application fee if the local authority is notified of the intended use of an Approved Certifier of Construction and a Certificate of Construction is submitted with the completion certificate.
- Approved Certifiers provide a quality service and ensure compliance of work with building regulations.
- Approved Bodies hold adequate insurance cover for any project to be certified.
- Members of a certification scheme have their work audited by the scheme provider.
- Construction professionals and tradespeople must have met high levels of qualifications and experience necessary to be accepted into certification schemes.
- The skills and experience of construction professionals and tradespeople are recognised.
How to apply
To become an Approved Certifier, an individual must belong to an approved scheme and meet rigorous standards agreed with the Scottish Government Building Standards Division (BSD). They must also be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of building regulations.
You don’t need to be a member of a trade association to join the Building Standards Scheme but the annual registration fee of £400 + VAT for Approved Bodies is waived for SELECT Members.
If you’re interested in joining the scheme or would like more information, please contact Certification Scheme Administrator Mary McSporran on 0131 445 5577 or email [email protected]
- For the Scottish Building Standards Certification website, click here.
- For the Scottish Government Building Standards Section, click here.
- For the Register of Approved Bodies, click here.