- In-depth involvement, including meetings, correspondence and consultations, with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) to help influence and shape BS 7671 and associated guidance documents.
- Supporting the drafting of agreed forms of contract through participation in the work of the Scottish Building Contract Committee (SBCC).
- Consultation with the British Standards Institution (BSI) on electrotechnical installation standards.
- Actuate UK
- Health & Safety Executive – input into relevant health and safety standards
- Scottish Qualifications Authority
Scottish Building Standards Division
- This is a division of the Scottish Government’s Directorate of the Built Environment and is our point of contact for all Building Standards Matters.
- We are in regular contact with BSD on all matters related to our position as a Scheme Provider for Certification of Construction and the manner in which this is discharged by local authorities.
- SELECT works to build contacts at the Scottish Parliament and to make ourselves available as the industry authority in Scotland.
- Emphasis has always been placed on those non-reserved matters which most closely interface with SELECT’s key functions.
- We brief those MSPs, MPs and MEPs with front bench spokesperson roles, those who are members of relevant committees and those with an active industry or constituency interest.
- Communications with parliaments and government are always targeted, concise and considered as our objective is to be regarded as always being available to provide expert advice but never inappropriately pushy or demanding of parliamentary time.
- A key element of our parliamentary involvement is our regular policy dinners conducted with the major party groups under the ‘Chatham House rule’, i.e. anything discussed can be quoted – but not attributed.